Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Work Without Pay

Behold, this is the Kolff Dialysis Center where I am doing my first rotation! I am working with a pharmacist here and basically we go to talk to the patients while they are having dialysis and go over their medications with them, then we make sure that there aren't any problems with the doses or if they need any additional medications, and we make notes of that in their chart. I also have to do research and read alot of scientific papers and do presentations. It is pretty fun though, I like it. It is fun to actually be doing something with all the information I've learned. The only bad part is that dialysis involves alot of blood and needles, and you know how I hate blood and needles!! (For anyone who doesn't know, I tend to pass out easily at the sight). The first time I talked to a patient hooked up to the machine it grossed me out... but luckily I haven't passed out yet.

6 comments:

Tiff, Adam, Lily, Gemma and Linus said...

Please stress the "yet" on not having passed out since starting your rotation--I should know since I've been there with you on multiple occasions when that has happened. Britta, what a fun job (except for the "without pay" part). That seems like it would be neat. The picture of the building makes it look very intimidating. I'm glad you're enjoying it. How long does this rotation last?

Melanie said...

Cool...and it looks like it's in SLC...are all of your rotations going to be in Salt Lake? So we need to get together again soon...we are leaving in July for Texas! Yikes!

The Allen Family said...

Wow, it sounds like you're more of a doctor than a pharmacist. And yea, as soon as I read it was at a dialasis center, I was like "What? Britta can't be around things like that!" Good luck with not passing out. And I can't believe you dare do all that bike riding! You are way too brave, unless it involes blood and needles, of course.

The Allen Family said...

Ugghh, I had a typo, I hate when I do that. I meant "involves", not "involes". But I'm sure you could figure that out. :)

Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

Hey, that sounds awesome! Good luck on the needle thing--you can do it--maybe this will help you get over it!!! Forever!! That would be pretty cool huh:).

Tiffany Turley said...

Girl -- good luck to you in your rotations! I'm sure you'll do fabulous becuase you're like the smartest girl I know! However, I am a little nervous about the blood and needles thing... If you ever need someone to come pick you up after you've fainted, you know my number! After all, what are friends for??? ;)